We are entering a new world in the way we work. Things such as digitalization and the coronavirus pandemic have affected the way global hiring goes on. Even though the labor shortage has become worse in certain sectors, it is affecting all the companies. The main reason for this is that the attitude of the workers has changed. People have become choosier about the kind of jobs they take on. They will look for roles that are right for them and their requirements. Organizations cannot just offer an opportunity because there is stiff competition from other companies. They need to offer an all-around proposition to add value for the candidate. Here are some ways to mitigate the issue.
1. Opt for a new location: Location is a key element for the success of recruitment. The pandemic produced a requirement for many people to work from home. The flexibility offered by hybrid and remote working conditions is something the workers are not willing to give up. This does not mean that the situation will work in favor of the candidate. Offering flexibility in locations is beneficial for the recruitment teams because it opens geographical areas from where you can hire, removing the location boundaries. These flexible working arrangements and locations automatically place you ahead of the organizations that do not offer these facilities.
2. Working with the experts: When you are short on time, experience, and resources, you must work with a talent partner to decide the route you are going to take. You can talk to the experts in your niche such as professional employment organizations (PEO) to get help in finding suitable talent for your company efficiently and fast. For example, if you operate in Canada, get in touch with one of the Canada PEO services. They can help a company in many areas such as legalities and payroll. The PEO services can also help find the right talent wherever you are located.
3. Be flexible: Offering flexibility is the idea here. We have already discussed how location flexibility is one of the key elements to address while recruiting. However, this idea must stretch further than just considering the location. You can think about offering flexibility about the working week and hours. You may consider changing the starting and finishing times, overtime, and banking hours. All these things are considered by the candidates when they are looking for a new job. It all boils down to what limits you are willing to go to for making your company an attractive proposition for the candidates.
4. Showcase the organization and act on it: When you are searching for new candidates, consider it as a way of delivering a sales pitch for your organization. Show them why they should work for your company and what you can offer in terms of progression, benefits, culture, and growth. The most significant thing to remember here is that you need to act on it. Nobody enjoys empty promises. If your company fails to deliver what it is saying, it will lead to disappointment and less employee retention. You can also take the opportunity to take a closer look at processes, company culture, and ways your employees work.
5. Provide incentives: Many people are looking for incentives when they compare different roles and find new places for work. There are various ways of offering incentives. Some of them are competitive salaries, a full benefits package, bonuses, wellbeing initiatives, positive culture, and more. All this can lead to a candidate being attracted to the company. Apart from all this, you can offer referral schemes for the existing employees. In case you already have good employees that are experts in their fields and are trustworthy, they may be aware of similarly talented people in other sectors.
Over some time and because of many factors, the recruitment process has altered. A shortage of available talent, greater skill gaps in certain sectors, and more concentration on employee benefits have put pressure on the HR departments when they are recruiting. With the power shifting towards the candidates, companies need to adapt their approach and their offerings to make sure that they are ahead of the competition. They need to look for things that ease the burden while recruiting remote employees.