Denzel Washington is an American actor, producer, director well-known for his spectacular performances on stage and screen. He was born to Denzel H. Washington and Sr. Lennis Washington on 28 December 1954, in Mount Vernon, New York, USA. He is famous for his powerful and engaging performances in movies and on stage.
Early Life and Education
Denzel Washington completed his early education at Mainland High School in 1970. He completed his graduation in Journalism and Drama from Fordham University in 1977. After graduation, he joined American Conservatory Theatre in San Francisco, where he learned acting for one year.
After doing several successful stage performances, he made his first debut in films through the film Wilma in 1977, which was a television film. He made his appearance in Hollywood through a comedy movie, Carbon Copy, in 1951.
He first received the people’s attention through his work in the TV series St. Elsewhere, which ran from 1982 to 1988. He also appeared in many other stage roles, motion pictures, and television roles.
Denzel Washington has one sister Lorice Washington, and a brother David Washington. He married Pauletta Washington in 1983, and she is also an actor. He has four children, John David Washington, Olivia Washington, Malcolm Washington, and Katia Washington.
Denzel Washington did spectacular acting at stage performances and in the movies, which loves people. He breaks the ideology that the African-American actor could not draw mainstream audiences through his work. He was one of the American-African actors to appear on the tv screen for more than six years.
Denzel Washington started his work in movies in 1977 through his first television movie, Wilma. He earned fame and reputation through his comic role in the film Carbon Copy in 1981. He was the actor who described the concept of classic movie stardom through his performances.
He worked in more than 50 movies and did spectacular acting, and here is the list of some most famous films by Denzel Washington, by which he earned his name.
- A Soldier’s Story (1984)
- Glory (1989)
- The Mighty Quinn (1989)
- Mo’ Better Blue (1990)
- Mississippi Masala (1991)
- Malcolm X (1992)
- Much Ado About Nothing (1993)
- Crimson Tide (1995)
- Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)
- Philadelphia (1996)
- He Got Game (1998)
- The Hurricane (1999)
- Remember The Titans (2000)
- Training Day (2001)
- Deja Vu (2006)
- Inside Man (2006)
- American Gangster (2007)
- Antwone Fisher (2015)
- Fences (2016)
- The Tragedy of Macbeth (2021)
Denzel Washington started his work in television in 1977, and here is the list of his television roles.
- He Played Robert Edge’s role in the Wilma movie in 1977.
- He played Kirk’s role in the Flesh and Blood movie in 1979.
- He played Dr. Philip Chandler’s role in St. Elsewhere from 1982 to 1988, by which he earned fame.
- He played Martin Sawyer’s role in the License to Kill movie in 1984.
- He played George Mckenna’s role in the George Mckenna Story in 1986.
- He played Narrator’s role in Great Performances in 1992.
- He played Narrator’s role in the documentary film The Liberators: Fighting on Two Fronts in World War II in 1992.
- He played King Omar, Humpty Dumpty, and Crooked Man’s role in Happily Ever After: Fairy Tales for Every Child from 1995 to 1997.
- He played Narrator’s role in the documentary film The March in 2013.
He played several roles in theatre plays and is famous for his stage performances.
- Coriolanus (1979)
- When the Chickens Came Home to Roost (1981)
- A Soldier’s Play (1981-1983)
- Checkmates (1988)
- The Tragedy of Richard III (1990)
- Julius Caesar (2005)
- Fences (2010)
- A Raisin in the Sun (2014)
- The Iceman Cometh (2018)
Awards and Achievements
One who works hard and by heart always gets a reward, and Denzel Washington has won more than 30 awards for his spectacular performances, and here is the list of his awards and achievements.
- He won Academy Awards (Oscar) two times, one for the best supporting actor in Glory in 1990 and second for best actor in Training Day in 2002. He was nominated for Oscar awards nine times.
- He won Golden Globe Awards two times, one for the best supporting actor in Gloryin 1990 and second for best drama actor in The Hurricane in 2000. He also won Golden Globe Cecil B. Demille Award in 2016.
- He won Tony Awards for best leading actor in the Fences play in 2010.
- He won Screen Actor Guild Awards for outstanding ensemble in Fences.
He won many other awards, like Film Critics’ Awards, Satellite Awards, Miscellaneous Awards, NAACP Image Awards, and TV Awards.
Here are some facts about Denzel Washington.
- He was born on 28 December 1954 in New York, and he is now 67 years old.
- He is also known as Denzel Hayes Washington, Jr.
- He won Academy Awards (Oscar) two times.
- His height is 6 ft.
- His nationality is American.
- His net worth is approximately $280 million.
- He married Pauletta Washington and has four children.
- His notable works are Fences, Antwone Fisher, and The Great Debaters.
- He does not only work as an actor but also works as a producer and director.
- He was ranked one of the greatest actors of the twenty-first century by The New York Times.